Tuesday, January 13

0 Till We Meet Again

It took some time for me to be able to gather my strength and write my farewell to one important person in my life.

December 31, 2008

What seemed to be a happy new year to some became the most clouded day of my life. I woke up hearing the labored breathing of my dad, who was seated in front of the television. At the back of my mind, I know it was the day, though in my silent prayers am hoping that the nurses could still do something about it. That he could still be revived. I must have drank an ample dose of courage for me to be able to accept the bad news, he was DOA. At around 5 a.m., he already left me and my bro.

I tried to be as calm as possible. Being her daughter and the eldest immediate relative, I faced some of the hardest questions of my life, questions that I wished school has taught me. But really, the harshest lessons in life are from reality. Burial, casket, transit and interment. I have to be responsible for those. I called my mom, who calmly accepted the news and prepared the necessaries for my dad's transfer to Laguna. Calling his siblings however, was a different story.

My aunt, bro and I sat beside his casket during the trip home. I must thank the funeral parlor cause they really took care of us during the whole trip. My dad still looked "gwapo" in his barong and gray slacks.

13 years ago, I could still vividly recall my lola's death, the same date as my father's. Then, we still celebrated New Year and had our share of games. But now, things have totally changed. No New Year greetings and cheers.
Me, mom and bro tucked together and slept peacefully amid the blast of firecrackers outside, for the next couple of days, sleep will be out of the picture.

The wake lasted 3 days and 3 nights. Friends and relatives come and go expressing their
support. Travel to Nagcarlan is a feat, and the effort alone to get there and be with us during our darkest days is more than enough to be thankful for.

His sent off was peaceful, the sun shone brightly that day. The church was filled with family, friends, relatives and colleagues. He was accompanied by my cousin's little angel, Edward Albert.

Pappy is now at peace and sleeping. I know, his now smiling at me together with Ina, Ama, and his sibs above. I may have not been very vocal to him about it, but pappy, I do hope that you felt how much I care for you. Yes, maybe I am truly a papa's girl, though I may not admit it. I'm sure gonna miss you. Our kulitan, the laughter, the way you wake me every morning and remind me that I need to go to work. The way you tease how chubby I am and how I would retort "di bale, cute naman ako."

One day, our roads will meet again...

I love you.

0 comments: