Friday, June 6

0 When a door closes, a window opens.

I've closed a chapter of my career. At first, I'd say, I had bitterness and a bit of guilt for being irresponsible and just leaving it all behind. But for my sake, it was indeed time to let go.

After almost three months, I went back to that place to totally seal that chapter I had with them. It was bittersweet that it had to end up with a summon before they took action to a pretty simple request, which is rightfully mine in the first place. However, though I tried fighting for my rights, it got tiring. I really didn't get the entire claim that was due me, but it was better than having none at all.

There was somehow nostalgia when it dawned to me that in a way, I belonged there. It was, in a way, brought me a sense of pride upon seeing remnants of what was used to be mine. While the entire office was rearranged, most of my stuff were kept almost untouched. I could still see notes I wrote posted on the walls, cork board and written on the white boards. The reports they're writing is still patterned to the format I have established during my stay. Upon asking around, I found out that nobody is permanently occupying my former space, it is left open to those who might need to use the fax machine or who need an extra table. While I was on the process of healing and happily moving on,my memories still live somewhere in that tiny spot in Makati. It did not made me sad, instead I felt a surge of pride that I am not forgotten, that I have contributed a lot and was able to touch lives. Or maybe that kick of pride is from knowing that somehow, somewhere, someone is having a hard time letting me go.

Though its a bit of annoying to know that rumors about me was spread to Clients (well knowing my former boss, it shouldn't be a surprise). However, what made me smile was the fact that though I might have had some work-related misunderstandings with my former colleagues, they stood up against his perception of who I am (or so they say). One even tried reaching out to me, asking for apologies that he wasn't able to really talk to me during my short stay that Friday afternoon. He was just being cautious, and being from that office, I know exactly how he feels. I was also able to patch things up with a colleague after months of being civil. It took me by surprise. We went out for a drink and we were able to sort things out. What caused our misunderstanding was miscommunication all over. She already asked for her apologies so do I for just brushing her off without hearing her out. Yes, time does heal all wounds.

I think, overall, I can say that I've done my job well. It was a career that I started loving. As what a friend told me, sometimes, its wise to love your job but do not expect the company to be always fair to you and will love you back.  

After leaving the company last March, I have learned a lot about myself. I began to really start looking at my priorities and setting my goals. I am also happy to be reunited with Him, whom I kinda took for granted for quite sometime. Guess, when you truly surrender to God, He would fix things and bless you in ways you wouldn't expect.

There are things that am thankful though as I close this chapter. I have gained lifelong friends and experiences worth remembering. I have learned how to be assertive of my rights and speak up for myself. I may not have mastered it yet, but I'm getting there. I was able to realize the importance of upholding your work ethics, no matter how shitty the work environment may be. 

I've now started weaving a new career path as a University English instructor. I have a sense of pride and happiness with what I do now. It is not as high earning as my former jobs, and I may struggle with my finances but I can say that I am OK. I believe that God will provide, the way He has done during my bum moments. He used people to reach out to me and assist me as I walk into this new beginning. I guess, with this new endeavor that I have now, I just need to keep the faith and let His will be done.

At the end of the day, I have lived to my values to do good and be good.

Later,

LeeLai

0 comments: